Friday, August 17, 2007

Jerry Maguire...

Watched it yesterday night. Let me add here - have watched it atleast 7 times before this. But the beauty of Cinema - it always throws up new angles, new thoughts and the energy to actually get off your ass after a fairly heavy day at work and blog about it.

I wonder, how could Cameron Crowe fit in the following in all of 139 mins:

1. Best breaking up scene (quiet) - When Renee Zellweger breaks up with Tom Cruise. She starts with "Its my fault"; you throw your head back, think "not another woman taking it on herself while actually saying - "Its you, moron!! your f^&*^%g fault", saying out loudly "bah" and getting up to get something from the fridge. Just then, she launches into a monologue which makes her sound totally believable, makes you shake your head in agreement and curse yourself for thinking bad things about Renee. All else is OK but how could think bad about her - she is Reneeeee.... havent you seen Bridget Jones's series.

2. Best Breaking up scene (loud) - Unlike the first one, this keeps you hooked. Atleast, kept me hooked. (Does it mean - I like my women loud and feisty and balls-kicking. No, I have only one pair and I dont think I would like a tinge of blue color on them). The best part of the scene is - the split second change of emotions - While Kelly Preston is haranguing Tom for losing out on a contract, Tom realises he wants to break up. In a second, kelly feels she has done the wrong thing and does not want to break up. In the next second, she feels this cant be happening to her and she will be losing (in case you have not figured yet - she is super competitive, really hot chick who has never been dumped). Next second, she is over him, angry and punches the hell out of his face and gives his balls theblue tinge (which i re highlight - I dont like on mine)

3. Best Father - son bonding scenes - Will have to say scenes coz the relationship evolves. From friendly banter in the car (Renee and her son go to drop Tom at the airport. Tom and son play a game of "Did you know....") to keeping secrets and soulful listening (when Tom drops over at Renee's place and is totally broken) to the utterly touching hug that the son gives Tom when he is taking Renee out on a date to the Morning - over the breakfast-eating cereals bonding. I think its truly amazing.

4. Best Friends - Again an evolution. Starts with Cuba Gooding saying "Show me the money" and Tom saying "You are all I have got" to venting out anger (by both Tom outside the airport) to complete care and love that a friend deserves.

5. Best making up scene - Setting - Tom and Renee have broken up. He, the dud realises that he cannot live without her, comes running back to a house where a bunch of divorced women are chatting about "how empty their lives are". Tom walks in, says Hello and hajjaar other stuff. For me, its the line of the movie. All Renee says is "You had me at Hello...."

It just makes me wonder, how could Cameron Crowe fit it all in 139 mins. Have I said it before. Am I repeating myself. Yes, you dud - coz am still wondering. Why, even our coffee guy Karan Johar needs triple the time to talk about any one of the above.

Bottom Line - If you have not seen the movie - watch it.
If you have, watch it again. You will enjoy.

No comments: