Saturday, August 25, 2007

Another movie post - Dil Chahta Hai...

Its the only movie of which I have seen all 4 shows. No, No, not on the same day. Am not that crazy. To add to that, I have seen it countless no. of times on TV. Last time being three days back - when I caught the last 20 mins.

Since then, I have been oscillating between - to-blog-about-it-or-not-to-blog-about-it. Mostly because, I have just put up a post on movies (Jerry Maguire) and people might find it repetitive. But then I realised, all of 2 people read the blog - thats me in the morning (all fresh and happy) and me in the evening (jaded and tired) and both of them wont mind reading about it - so what the hell. Here goes.....

DCH did not send the cash registers ringing. Nor was it a cult movie. I mean, it did not start a revolution - a la Rang De Basanti, or motivated a whole lot of parents naming their son Raj a la DDLJ or make people teary eyed going ga ga about joint families a la HAHK. But there is a freshness about the movie which just does not fade away. So, in true corporate style (saying this as I am blogging from the office-influence rubbing off), what are the take aways -

1. New and improved Saif - Before we got Parineeta, Hum Tum, Salaam Namaste, Omkaara there was DCH. Somewhere, on the sets of DCH he discovered uber coolness and perfect sense of comic timing. Fortunately, both have stayed with him ever since.

2. Aamir's goatee - What do we say about him? Who would have thought that after playing the unforgettable role of village hero Bhuvan in Lagaan - in the very same year he himself will break the mould and reincarnate as SCST (super-cool-stud-types) Aakash. His hair style gave all barbers an excuse to give a lousy hair cut (sir, ekdum aamir khan types baal kaata hai) and made goatee the new in-thing.

3. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy - Did they do any movies before DCH or they were just too busy getting a PhD in advertising jingles? Truly, they are a gift to music. We have heard them in a whole lot of movies ever since but DCH is where their cliched sun rose for the first time.

4. Friendship - Friendship has been the object of many movies (Sholay is the first one that comes to mind) but Farhan handled it in a really realistic way, something I connected with instantly. Friends having fun at college and playing pranks, Friends having an argument, Friends crossing the line, Friends walking away for something which can be resolved with a simple sorry, Friends still feeling the connect despite all differences and distance, and Friends being friends again (thank fully), albeit in a different more mature more understanding way.

5. Farhan Akhtar - I could not believe this was his first movie. I am no expert in movie making - for that matter, not really an expert in anything. I am an MBA - what did you expect. Bloody &*%(*^*&^&^. Go take a walk. But really - such finesse in story telling! He strengthened my faith in Genes (He is the progeny of Honey Irani and Javed Akhtar). I just hope, mine start showing their effect sometime soon. Its been 26 years already. Start working... dammit!!

Well, can go ranting on and on. But then work would suffer and you would suffer too - reading more of me. So will stop.

If you think of something I have missed - feel free to add.

Coming soon - A post on Mumbai - the city I love to hate but (OK, I confess) would probably hate to leave now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I somehow liked the last line.... From 'love to hate' to 'hate to leave' :-)

Guess our thinking goes inverse proportionally.... what say ?

Anonymous said...

I somehow liked the last line.... From 'love to hate' to 'hate to leave' :-)

Guess our thinking goes inverse proportionally.... what say ?